Eco Foam Fire Extinguisher 9l
Foam fire extinguishers can be used on Class A and B fires. Class A involve flammable solids such as rubber, wood, paper and textile materials, where as class B fires involve flammable liquids such as kerosene or petrol.
9l Foam Fire Extinguisher is most suited to extinguishing liquid fires such as petrol or diesel and are more versatile than water jet extinguishers because they can also be used on solids such as wood and paper. The foam extinguishes liquid fires by sealing the surface of the liquid, preventing flammable vapor reaching the air and starving the fire of fuel. They are not suitable for use on free flowing liquid fires.
Why to Use Foam Fire Extinguisher
The primary advantage is that it is a non-toxic substance, which does not damage most materials. In addition, it works by putting out the fire in a progressive fashion and also ensures that re-ignition of the flammable liquid is not possible. It works by forming a layer over the fire and the burning materials, effectively cutting off oxygen to it. This ensures that the burning liquid or solid will eventually cool down and not have access to heat that may cause re-ignition.
- Foam Fire Extinguishers are extremely cost-effective
- Refillable and easy to maintain
- Lightweight which makes it portable and easy to use
- Can be used on multiple classes of fire (class A and class B)
Although this type of firefighting device is highly effective, it has several disadvantages that you should know about. For one, it is dangerous to use this for Class C fires or those that are caused by flammable gases. Use a powder fire extinguisher instead. Also, this extinguisher is relatively heavy so it would help if you opt for one that comes in wheels or has a trolley so that transporting it to the scene would be easier. It also contains fluoro tensides, which can be accumulated in the body. But this should not be cause of worry since there are no studies yet that can prove its negative effects on the body.
9l ECO Foam extinguishers are a next generation foam extinguisher with superior performance and minimum environmental impact. They are a low cost effective method to combat Class B fires. ECO Foam fire extinguishers are effective by reducing the temperature of the burning fuel so it is below its ignition point
How To Use Foam Fire Extinguishers?
As you can imagine, foam extinguishers fight class A and B fires by covering the offending area in a thick blanket of foam. This, in turn, seals off any oxygen from reaching the fire whilst cooling the fuel source. Ultimately, these two functions guard against re-ignition, making foam extinguishers invaluable.
Only tackle small fires with an extinguisher. If the fire has taken hold do not fight the fire but evacuate immediately and warn others of the fire, then call the fire service (000).
- Pull the safety pin this will also break the tamper seal
- Squeeze the lever to start discharging the extinguisher.
- Aim the fire extinguisher nozzle at a vertical surface near the fire, do not spray directly at the fire as this could cause the burning liquid to splash and the fire to spread to surrounding areas. Foam extinguishers build up of foam on the surface of the burning liquid, cutting off the oxygen supply to the fire and cooling the hot liquid.
- Ensure all of the fire has been extinguished; the foam creates a blanket over the fire and helps to prevent re-ignition.